Saturday, April 18, 2009

Puerto Rico Day 1

Puerto Rico Day 1:

I've wanted to go to Puerto Rico for years. I was able to enjoy P.R. in September 2008 with the Wifey for our 11th anniversary.
I wanted to see Loiza badly. I've read so much about Loiza as I've studied the African influence in Latin America. I really want to visit Puerto Rico during the annual Loiza Festival so I could witness for myself Puerto Rican people celebrating the African portion of their cultural and familial heritage. Many of the Puerto Ricans that I've known haven't been outwardly proud of Puerto Rico's African presence......... I guess I could say the same about African-Americans as well.
Today we touched down in P.R. We visited San Juan, drove through Old San Juan, and made plans for me to visit Ponce (Home to one of my heroes - Roberto Clemente), Loiza (Home of the Loiza Festival), and I hoped to walk the grounds of Santurce (Home of Arturo Alfonso Schomburg). It took us a while to get from the airport and to obtain a vehicle. Once that was in place we drove to our Timeshare by Wyndham and enjoyed the sounds of the Puerto Rican frogs. Here are a few photos:

No comments: